- The Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 is available in a choice of Ti and Veloce trims, with an exclusive SPECIALE edition also available at launch
- Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 is the most efficient Alfa Romeo ever, with of CO2 emissions of 29g/km and over 49 miles of battery life in full-electric mode and more than 372 miles of total range in non-urban use
- The plug-in hybrid powertrain generates 280hp and combines with the Q4 all-wheel drive to guarantee the best in traction and safety
- Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 Veloce and Speciale are now available to order, with prices starting from £445* per month on Personal Contract Purchase (PCP)
The Alfa Romeo Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 completes the Tonale range—the model with which the brand made its entrance into the world of electrification. This new version sits at the top of the range and opens a new chapter in the metamorphosis of Alfa Romeo, as it combines maximum efficiency and sportiness: more than 49 miles in full-electric in the urban cycle, 372 miles in the total cycle and emissions reduced to 26g/km. The Alfa Romeo Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 is available to order now, priced from £445* per month on Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) for the Speciale.
Quality and attention-to-detail have been combined with dynamic characteristics, while its on-board technology and connectivity make it the most hi-tech Alfa Romeo ever. The historic Alfa Romeo logo has been reinterpreted to highlight the brand’s electrification process: the elegant elettro-biscione placed on the left rear window stands out on the Tonale Plug-In and is emphasised by privacy glass.
ALL-ELECTRIC TO USE EVERY DAY, HYBRID FOR GETTING AWAY
The powertrain in the Plug-in Hybrid Q4 makes it the most efficient Tonale in the range, offering the best in terms of performance and battery life. The advanced hybrid system combines a 180hp, 1.3-litre turbocharged MultiAir, 4-cylinder engine coupled to a 6-speed automatic transmission to provide traction to the front axle, with an electric motor capable of supplying 90kW of max peak power and 250 Nm of torque to the rear axle.
The 306-volt, 15.5 kWh lithium-ion battery supplies an electric range of over 49 miles in the urban cycle and more than 372 miles of total range, making the Tonale Plug-in Hybrid one of the most efficient plug-in hybrid SUVs. The new hybrid powertrain reduces CO2 emissions to 29 g/km and improves fuel consumption to deliver 217.3 mpg in the WLTP cycle. With the aim of providing maximum efficiency, it takes less than 2.5 hours to fully charge the battery from a 7.4 kW charger.
Equipped with a Q4 all-wheel-drive system—the front wheels are powered by the internal combustion engine and the rear wheels are powered by the electric motor— helping to provide best-in-class agility, lightness and driving dynamics.
Its 280hp hybrid powertrain ensures it accelerates from zero to 62 mph in just 6.2 seconds and onto a top speed of 84 mph in full-electric mode and 128 mph in hybrid mode, with the e-AWD system providing instantaneous deployment of 100 per cent of available torque from the electric motor on the rear axle.
The advanced 4×4 hybrid system guarantees maximum stability both off-road and on. It does not physically connect the two propulsion systems, but rather coordinates them, making the Tonale Plug-In even lighter and unmatched in its handling.
NEW FUNCTIONALITIES DEVELOPED TO ENHANCE THE EFFICIENCY OF THE TONALE PLUG-IN HYBRID
On the Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4, the Alfa D.N.A. drive selector functionalities have been redesigned to enhance its efficiency and performance. It is possible to manage the Q4 traction and the electronic controls, coordinate the action of the engine and transmission and modify the sensitivity of the commands all on a single selector dial.
- Dynamic mode prioritises the vehicle’s performance with a specific calibration of the throttle, management of the transmission and stability controls, which have been combined with a more direct steering response.
- Natural mode uses hybrid driving and all-wheel drive to optimise the efficiency of the internal combustion engine and electric motor, without compromising performance.
- Advanced Efficiency obtains maximum energy efficiency in full-electric driving mode. When the driver removes their foot from the throttle the car will continue to drive in Sailing mode, while the new eCoasting Descent Control is activated when going downhill to maintain a constant speed of 31 mph (adjustable with a light touch of the throttle or brake).
The addition of EV features on the Tonale Plug-in Hybrid Q4 guarantee an even more efficient and relaxing driving experience. E-Save allows drivers to recharge or maintain the battery level when the internal combustion engine is on; the regenerative braking system allows drivers to recover energy during the phases of deceleration and braking, storing it in the battery pack, and by activating E-Coasting, energy recovery takes place even when slowing down without a foot on the brake pedal. The EV Features can be controlled by the driver through the instrument panel.
SOFTWARE AND CONNECTIVITY FOR A SUPERIOR ON-BOARD EXPERIENCE
Superior software and connectivity have been provided as standard to offer the brand’s trademark driving pleasure, while guaranteeing a comfortable and connected experience. The integration with the Amazon Alexa voice assistant offers the convenience of interacting with the system without the driver having to remove their hands from the wheel. Amazon Alexa also allows the driver to remain updated on the state of the vehicle from the comfort of their home, providing useful information like the state of charge of the battery in the Tonale Plug-In Hybrid.
The brand-new infotainment system comes as standard and offers functionality and services which are constantly updated via its customisable Android operating system and 4G connectivity with Over The Air (OTA) updates. The high-resolution 22.5-inch screens — 12.3-inch totally digital screen and 10.25-inch main touchscreen unit — features an intuitive and easy-to-use system. The dials in the Tonale Plug-in Hybrid Q4 includes features such as the elettro-biscione, in the lower part of the right dial, which changes colour based on the electric motor’s status (off, on, on and charging) and provides all the information related to power and charging.
Four new functionalities make their debuts on the Tonale Plug-in Hybrid Q4 and further expand upon the Alfa Connect Services:
- E-control: allows the customer to control various functionalities based on the EV features—including charging and the climate control system— directly from the My Alfa Connect App
- Dynamic Range Mapping: allows drivers to travel with peace of mind, showing them the destinations they can reach based on the battery charge
- Charging Station Finder: allows the customer to see the nearest public charging stations both on the navigation system map and the My Alfa Connect app
- My eCharge: allows for the use of the My Alfa Connect app to directly access Free2Move eSolutions services to manage public and private charging. It will be possible to locate the public charging stations, check the charging methods, make payments, visualise the charge history and manage charging from a home Wallbox – allowing drivers to decide how much electricity to use and even increase, decrease, suspend and reactivate the charge
The Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 has further built upon an ecosystem of Alfa Romeo services to offer an innovative customer journey, including a Non-Fungible-Token (NFT) certificate on the blockchain. Introduced on the Tonale, NFT technology is a brand-new feature in the automotive world and Alfa Romeo is the first manufacturer to connect an NFT digital certificate to a vehicle. Based on the customer’s selection, the NFT generates a certificate which guarantees the identity and maintenance record of the vehicle, supporting its residual value. The NFT certificate provides a further source of credibility on the used market and is even more valuable on the Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 as it contains even more information.
THE LINEUP STRATEGY AND PRICING
The Tonale Plug-in Hybrid Q4 is the top-of-the-range model. It is available in Ti trim, with an elegant and distinctive character, and Veloce trim, with a more sporty feeling.
The Ti version is externally distinguished by a satin chrome V front bezel, 18-inch dark finish diamond cut alloy wheels with coloured Alfa Romeo centre wheel caps, a gloss-black body kit, with satin side and front inserts, privacy glass and black painted mirror caps. Inside, sporty black cloth upholstery, driver’s seat with four-way lumbar adjustment, 60/40 split rear seats with ski pass and sport leather steering wheel with start button complete the Ti.
The Veloce builds on this with dark miron V front bezel, veloce badging and body kit, with matt side and front inserts, gloss black window surround, and 19-inch dark finish diamond cut alloy wheels with monochrome Alfa Romeo centre wheel caps and red painted Brembo brake calipers. Inside, the Veloce adds aluminium door sills and column mounted aluminium shift paddles to its distinctive black and red Alcantara upholstery. Under the skin, the Veloce also gains Alfa Dual Stage Valve suspension (DSV) for an even more compliant ride.
The Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 will also be available as an exclusive SPECIALE launch version with enhanced contents and connectivity including gloss black body kit with titanium side and front inserts, a SPECIALE badge on the wing and a black Tonale badge, 20-inch alloy wheels, metal pedals and red Brembo brake calipers.
The Tonale range is available in a choice of six solid, metallic and tri-coat colours – Alfa White, Alfa Red, Alfa Black, Misano Blue, Montreal Green and Vesuvio Grey. A leather pack is available on all trims to enhance their standard interior offering.
The Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 is a milestone in the Alfa Romeo journey from ‘zero to zero’, which will take it from being a zero per cent electrified brand at the start of 2022 to being a zero-emissions and 100 per cent electrified brand in 2027. The new Alfa Romeo Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Q4 is priced from £445* per month on PCP in Speciale trim, rising to £545* for a Veloce. Orders are now open for the Veloce and Speciale, with first deliveries taking place in Q1, while TI will be available to order in Q2.
Monthly Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) payment
Alfa Romeo Tonale Plug-In Hybrid Speciale
Alfa Romeo Tonale Plug-In Veloce